Posted in response to a request, taken from The New Canadian Basics Cookbook. The cookbook states this is a wonderful side dish to serve with pork, poultry and sausages, and I'd have to agree.
- In a large heavy saucepan, over medium heat, heat the oil then add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in cabbage, garlic and apples.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until cabbage begins to wilt.
- Stir in stock, vinegar, sugar and bay leaf.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until cabbage is soft and liquid has evaporated.
- Remove bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste.