1 hr 15 mins
From Martha Stewart's Living magazine, Nov. 2012 issue. Mr Grumpy saw the recipe and asked that I make it. It is easy to make and very tasty. Served with pork braised in mushroom sauce and mashed potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces bacon (cut into 1/2 inch pieces, about 4 slices)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- coarse salt, to taste (I used none)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 golden delicious apple (peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fat renders and bacon is crist, about 8 minutes.
- 2Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until transluscent, about 3 minutes.
- 3Add cabbage, wine, water sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp salt (I used no salt), stir to combine. Raise heat to medium-high, cover and cook 5 minutes.
- 4Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- 5Stir apple into cabbage, cover and cook until cabbage and apples are tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Season with pepper.
- 6This can be made ahead - cool completely before refrigerating, reheat covered over medium heat.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Red Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.9
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 121.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 1.8 g