Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Martha Stewart's Living magazine, Nov. 2012 issue. Mr Grumpy saw the recipe and asked that I make it. It is easy to make and very tasty. Served with pork braised in mushroom sauce and mashed potatoes.
- 4 ounces bacon (cut into 1/2 inch pieces, about 4 slices)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- coarse salt, to taste (I used none)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 golden delicious apple (peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fat renders and bacon is crist, about 8 minutes.
- Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until transluscent, about 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage, wine, water sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp salt (I used no salt), stir to combine. Raise heat to medium-high, cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Stir apple into cabbage, cover and cook until cabbage and apples are tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Season with pepper.
- This can be made ahead - cool completely before refrigerating, reheat covered over medium heat.