4 hrs 30 mins
this recipe is from alfred portale of gotham bar and grill in nyc
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 lb) leg of lamb (approximately 8 pounds)
- 2 heads garlic, split in half
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 ounces tomato paste
- 1 liter red wine (any full-bodied wine such as Cabernet or Syrah)
- 5 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 large celery root, cut into large pieces (approximately 2 pounds)
- 1 rutabaga, cut into large pieces (approximately 1 1/2 pounds)
- 18 cipollini onions, peeled and kept whole
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Trim any excess fat from the lamb and season with salt and pepper.
- 2In a large pot (with a tight-fitting lid), add the oil and heat it over a high flame.
- 3Place the lamb in the pot and let it sear on all sides until golden brown (about 12-15 minutes).
- 4Remove from the pot and drain off all of the oil except for 2 tablespoons.
- 5Add the garlic, rosemary, thyme, tomato paste and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- 6Add the wine to the pot and reduce by ¾.
- 7Place the lamb back into the pot and cover completely with chicken stock; bring to a simmer (about 15 minutes).
- 8Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 9Put the lid on the pot and place in the oven, and cook for 3 hours.
- 10Add the carrots, celery root, rutabaga and cippolini onions to the pot and cook for 1 more hour, until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
- 11Remove the lamb and place it on a serving platter.
- 12Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables and arrange them around the lamb.
- 13Strain the remainder of the sauce and put it back in the pot; reduce by 3/4 (approximately 20 minutes) until thickened and richly flavored.
- 14Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Leg of Lamb With Root Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (1307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1644.1
- Calories from Fat 862
- Total Fat 95.8 g
- Saturated Fat 37.7 g
- Cholesterol 405.2 mg
- Sodium 991.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 132.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: