Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Herbs, white wine vinegar and anchovies flavour Matthew Fort's simple and robust lamb casserole. UKTVFood.
- 25 g drippings
- 1 1⁄2 kg lamb, cubed
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sage leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 7 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup white wine
- 4 anchovy fillets, salted
- Heat the drippings in a large casserole pan over a medium heat. When it is smoking hot, add the lamb and brown all over.
- Add the herbs and garlic to the casserole and season with salt and pepper. Stir to coat everything in the fat.
- Sprinkle the flour over the meat and cook over a high heat for a minute or two, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the vinegar and wine, and allow the liquid to bubble up, scraping up the bits from the bottom of the casserole.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the lamb for about 40 minutes until the meat is tender.
- Just before serving take a ladle of juices from the pan, and mash the anchovy fillets into it before pouring back over the lamb.