Prep 12 mins
Cook 20 mins
comes from "kids can cook pacific northwest recipies"!
- 1 lb chestnuts
- 1 lb Brussels sprout
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- put a large pot of water to boil the chestnuts.
- cut a x in the shell of the chestnuts(but not the meat of the chestnuts or course).
- boil the chestnuts for 5 minuites.scoop them out of the water with a strainer or a slotted spoon.
- whil the chestnuts are still hot carefully pull off the outer shells.peel off as much of the shell as you can.if some of the nuts will not give up on there shells reheat then try again.
- trim the bottoms of the brussels sprouts.pull away any loose or damaged leaves.
- put 2 quarts of water and the salt in a large saucepan & bring to a boil.
- add the brussels sprouts & boil for 4-5 minuites or until they can be peirced with a fork.
- drain the sprouts & rinse in cold water to halt the cooking proccess.
- put the peeled chestnuts in a large saute pan with the broth and simmer for 5 minuites.don't let the broth boil too hard,this can cause the chestnuts to fall apart.
- when the chestnuts are tender,add the brussels sprouts & cook uncovered fore another 5 minuites.
- serve warm.