Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Houston’s Restaurant makes a fabulous Braised Red Cabbage. I found a copycat recipe for it on "Nibbles of Tidbits, a Food Blog"
- 1 head red cabbage (Chopped or Shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- goat cheese
- Add the Vinegar, Water, Butter and Sugar to a Dutch Oven. Heat all on the stove for about 5 minutes. When the Sugar is dissolved, add the chopped Red Cabbage.
- Stir all together, then cover and braise in the oven at 325° for 2 hours.** Stir every half hour or so. If the liquid completely evaporates, just add a little extra Water. **I was in a hurry so i let it cook on the stove top for about 10-15 min and then put it in the over for an hour and it turned out great.
- Serve with a dollop of Goat Cheese.
I suggest adding minced shallots, a chopped red onion, and a bay leaf.
This was so good :) As someone who used to work for Houston's Restaurant for many years, I was so happy to be able to find this recipe as I LOVE their Braised Red Cabbage :). The only thing different was that (I know for sure) they use balsamic vinegar so I substituted that for the white wine vinegar and it turned out just as good.
This was fabulous!!! A little sweet and tangy, great texture and the goat cheese (just a little) puts it over the top! Next time I'll try to use 1/2 splenda 1/2 sugar, and I only used about 1T of olive oil instead of butter this time around. What an easy, amazing, and economical dish!