Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A hearty stew.
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, trimmed of fat, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks, and blotted dry
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, cut diagonally into 2-inch chunks
- 4 new potatoes, diced
- 6 small turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- In a zip-lock plastic bag, toss the beef with the flour, salt, and pepper; shake off excess flour.
- In a big skillet over med-high heat, warm 1 ½ tablespoons oil until very hot.
- Add half the beef; brown on all sides, about 5 minutes; transfer to a slow cooker.
- Repeat with the remaining oil and beef.
- Add the onions to the skillet; cook/stir 5minutes, until softened.
- Transfer to the cooker and add the carrots, potatoes, and turnips.
- Add the coffee and thyme to the cooker.
- Pour the wine into the skillet; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly and scraping up any browned bits stuck to the pan.
- Pour into the cooker and stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours, until the meat is tender.
- Taste for salt/pepper, add to if needed; serve.