Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is from Celebrate San Antonio Cookbook.
Make and share this " Bowl of Red " Chili Con Carne recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups water
- 5 lbs coarse lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, diced
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 bay leaves, broken
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt (more or less to taste)
- 6 tablespoons chili powder or 6 tablespoons cayenne or 6 tablespoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon fresh coriander
- 3 -5 tablespoons flour
- In a blender, puree tomatoes.
- In a 2-gallon kettle, pour water & tomatoes & begin cooking over medium heat.
- In a skillet, brown beef & onion in shortening.
- In kettle with tomatoes, add beef, onions, garlic, bey leaves, oregano, cumin, salt, chili powder / pepper.
- Bring to a boil & reduce heat to simmer for 2.5 - 3 hours.
- Add water if chili gets too thick during cooking.
- Add cilantro 30 minutes before chili is ready.
- Mix flour with cold water or tomato juice to form a paste & add to chili to thicken.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Chili is best made at least 1 day before serving.