From Cuisine at Home. I can't abide frozen spinach, so baby spinach leaves fit the role nicely. Cut down on the fat content by using lower fat milk instead of cream. A brief history of boursin, compliments of www.cheese.com: "Boursin is a modern, creamy, fresh cheese of cylindrical shape without rind. It is made with garlic and herbs or even black pepper. It is a soft industrial cheese with no affinage (maturity/aging process). The cheese was founded by Monsier Boursin in 1957. It has a rich, sweet flavor with a hint of acidity." Update: I discovered recently that there is a posted boursin cheese recipe on this site. I have not tried it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces boursin cheese
- 10 ounces baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely minced
- white pepper
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Butter a shallow baking dish and set aside.
- 3Prepare the sauce first by sauteing the onion in butter over medium heat. Cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- 4Add flour and stir well to coat. Cook about 1 minute.
- 5Gradually whisk in the milk and whipping cream, stirring the mixture constantly to break up any lumps. Simmer sauce for 1 minute. DO NOT burn.
- 6Next stir in the boursin cheese a little bit at a time, until melted and smooth. Remove the pan from the heat.
- 7Now add the spinach, Parmesan cheese, lemon zest and seasonings. Transfer the spinach mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- 8Toss together the topping ingredients. Add the topping to the spinach mixture and pat down with your hands.
- 9Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake until crumbs are golden and saucy bubbly; approximately 20-25 minutes.
- 10NOTE: Casserole can be prepared up through Step #8, covered with foil and chilled for baking at a later time.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boursin Cheese Creamed Spinach Bake
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.6
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 64.3 mg
- Sodium 315.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: