Recipe by COOKGIRl
From Cuisine at Home. I can't abide frozen spinach, so baby spinach leaves fit the role nicely. Cut down on the fat content by using lower fat milk instead of cream. A brief history of boursin, compliments of www.cheese.com: "Boursin is a modern, creamy, fresh cheese of cylindrical shape without rind. It is made with garlic and herbs or even black pepper. It is a soft industrial cheese with no affinage (maturity/aging process). The cheese was founded by Monsier Boursin in 1957. It has a rich, sweet flavor with a hint of acidity." Update: I discovered recently that there is a posted boursin cheese recipe on this site. I have not tried it.
Top Review by cwork
This is becoming a holiday favorite for my family. I use the Laughing Cow Light cheese wedges, which melt nicely. Last night, substituted swiss chard whch has more body than spinach and it was great!
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces boursin cheese
- 10 ounces baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely minced
- white pepper
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Butter a shallow baking dish and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce first by sauteing the onion in butter over medium heat. Cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well to coat. Cook about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and whipping cream, stirring the mixture constantly to break up any lumps. Simmer sauce for 1 minute. DO NOT burn.
- Next stir in the boursin cheese a little bit at a time, until melted and smooth. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Now add the spinach, Parmesan cheese, lemon zest and seasonings. Transfer the spinach mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Toss together the topping ingredients. Add the topping to the spinach mixture and pat down with your hands.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake until crumbs are golden and saucy bubbly; approximately 20-25 minutes.
- NOTE: Casserole can be prepared up through Step #8, covered with foil and chilled for baking at a later time.