Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tasty roll-up with a savory Greek cheese filling from Greek With Gusto! it's a bit of work but worth the effort. Can be used as the main course though it's a bit rich - our preference is to use as an appetizer. The filling can be prepared 3 days in advance - refrigerate covered. Allow phyllo to thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours before using.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk, hot
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled (can use graviera)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lb phyllo pastry
- 1 cup butter, melted
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, bell pepper and green onions. Saute for a few minutes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add flour, stir and blend with a wire whisk. Slowly add hot milk, continuing to stir with the whisk until the mixture thickens. Lower heat and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir in eggs, cheese, parsley, pepper, and sauteed mixture. Mix well and set aside. (can be put in fridge for 3 days at this point - cover!).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Assemble phyllo rolls:.
- Remove phyllo from package, unorll and lay flat on counter. Keep covered with a slightly dampened tea towel.
- Remove 1 sheet at a atime and cut in half lengthwise. Keep one half on the counter & place the other with the unused sheets under the damp tea towel. (this prevents it from drying out).
- Brush half of the pastry strip with melted butter and fold in half lengthwise, and brush with more butter.
- Place 1 Tbsp of filling along the bottom edge leaving about a half inch of pastry showing on bottom and both sides.
- Fold the left and right edges of the phyllo in half and inch. Brush sides with butter and roll up to make a tight roll, brushing with butter as you go. Be sure the entire surface is brushed with melted butter!
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet, seam-side down.
- Repeat until all the rolls have been made.
- Pierce each roll 2 or 3 times with tip of a sharp knife. Sprinkle lightly wiht a few drops of water.
- Bake in the centre of a 350°F oven for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Wonderful! I scaled this down to 10 roll-ups and we all loved them. I thought the addition of the pepper and green onion was inspired - it really does add a totally different dimension to the cheese filling. I did not pierce my rolls - I never do. Not a problem. Thanks!