Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A remarkable desert sauce that's incredible over bread pudding, fruit, ice cream, apple pie or any plain cake.
- In a medium bowl or the bowl of your electric mixer combine eggs, yolks and sugar, whisk to combine.
- Place your mixing bowl over a pan of hot water over low heat and stir continuously until it reaches 165°F.
- I like to start the water off at well below the boiling point and slowly raise the temperature until it's just shy of boiling.
- Do not whisk this mixture too much at this stage or you will incorporate too much air and take too long to heat.
- If water starts to boil or you see steam coming off your mixture remove from the heat for a few seconds and whisk.
- Getting this mixture too hot will cause eggs to cook.
- After desired temperature is reached, use the whip attachment for your electric mixer and beat on high speed until thick and cooled to just warm to the touch.
- Beat in vanilla and optional bourbon, serve ASAP.
- The mixture will keep in the fridge for a day or so before it starts to separate.
- Variations: Use rum, flavored liqueur or various extracts in lieu of bourbon.
Wow! This was beyond good. I made a bread pudding and really wanted to dress it up so I gave this a try. It nearly made my comfort food elegant! We had vanilla ice cream on top of the bread pudding, then topped it with the sauce. Great recipe! Thanks!
This was excellent. I have to admit that I was skeptical because there wasn't any cream in it but it turned out great! And I subbed Splenda for the sugar. Thanks for posting!