Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 large oranges, juice of
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks (or combo breast and thighs)
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) boxes cornbread mix, such as Jiffy
- milk, as needed for the corn bread, per package directions
- egg, as needed for the corn bread, per package directions
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium sauce pan over med-high heat.
- 3Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook until tender, 4-5 minutes.
- 4Season the onions with salt and pepper and stir in the tomato paste and smoked paprika.
- 5Cook the mixture for 1-2 minutes, then add the Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and chicken stock to the pan.
- 6Bring everything up to a bubble, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer the sauce until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 7While the sauce is simmering, place a large cast-iron skillet over med-high heat with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- 8Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook it until golden brown on all sides, 5-6 minutes.
- 9When the chicken is golden brown, pour the thickened barbecue sauce into the cast-iron skillet and add the bourbon, but don't stir it inches.
- 10Remove the pan from the heat and very carefully flame the alcohol by using a match or barbecue lighter.
- 11Return the pan to the heat and allow the alcohol to cook out of the bourbon; it'll be ready when the flames die away.
- 12Remove the skillet from the heat and reserve on a heat-safe surface while you prepare the corn bread.
- 13In a mixing bowl, prepare the corn bread batter according to the package directions.
- 14Fold the scallions and 1/2 cup cheese into the batter and spoon it evenly over the top of the barbecue chicken.
- 15Sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese over the corn bread and transfer the skillet to the oven.
- 16Bake until the corn bread is golden brown and baked through, about 15 minutes.
- 17Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bourbon Orange Skillet BBQ Chicken With Corn Bread Topper
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 661.4
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 127.7 mg
- Sodium 1141.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 24.5 g
- Protein 47.2 g