Easy, flavorful recipe for chicken lovers
Make and share this Bourbon Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Heat oil in large pot and add diced chicken. Lightly brown the chicken.
- Remove chicken and set aside, drain out excess liquid from pot.
- Add garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper flakes, apple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, water and soy sauce to the pot and heat over medium flame.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- To thicken the sauce, add corn starch and water.
- Serve over rice.
Yum! I used half the amount of chicken but left the amount of sauce the same. Next time I might use a touch less sugar. I don't know why it's called bourbon chicken when there isn't any bourbon in it, so I put some in.
The reason it is called"Bourbon Chicken " is because of a Restaurant on BOURBON STREET in Loisianna,that makes it. That recipe made it famous so famous that they could afford to share it! SOOO,it does not have to have Bourbon in it! But once you have the recipe like everything else, you can change it, if you want to change it, and make it your own!!
I have been looking for a bourbon chicken recipe that is close to a local cajun fast food restaurant near us and this comes the closest yet. Very good. I will fix it again, but cut the pepper amount in half---very hot! I also did not see how the author intended to finish cooking the chicken, but I assumed it was to be simmered in the sauce. I cooked it for 20 minutes and it seemed just right. I tripled the recipe to make enough sauce and also used 2 Tbs of corn starch.