Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I found this on allrecipes.com. Pro member Lupe Boudreaux says, "Dis is da toe curlin Texicajun hybrid of a classic dish. This will put a smile on everyone's face that's eatin it. Throw on some Zydeco music and serve on a bed of rice with corn bread and a cold beer. Whew doggie...be thankful to be alive and toast all us Texicajuns!!!"
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup boneless skinless chicken breast half, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage link, thinly sliced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced (plum)
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes with green chili peppers, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh red chili peppers
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cajun seasoning
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, and cook chicken until no longer pink and juices run clear. Stir in sausage, and cook until evenly browned. Drain chicken and sausage, and set aside.
- In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, blend olive oil and flour to create a roux. Stir constantly until browned and bubbly. Mix in garlic, and cook about 1 minute.
- Gradually stir chicken broth and beer into the roux mixture. Bring to a boil, and mix in celery, tomatoes, sweet onion, diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, red chile peppers, parsley, and Cajun seasoning. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 40 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix chicken, sausage, and shrimp into the broth mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.