Recipe by Member #610488
Little known outside of Massachusetts, this recipe is a by-product of that state's long tradition of Saturday night baked bean suppers. During the days afterward, leftover beans are spread on buttered brown bread, and covered with cold cuts, and sliced cheese to make a delicious snack. Recipe is an adaptation of a sandwich served by friends over a weekend visit.
Top Review by I'mPat
I made this for myself this morning for breakfast, heated up the baked beans in the microwave and toasted 2 slices of wholemeal, assembled it with the cheese on the top and popped it under the grill (broiler) and it was delicious and oh so filling. Thank you Celticevergreen for a great breakfast.
- 3 cups baked beans
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices brown bread, such as pumpernickel
- 8 slices ham
- 16 slices jarlsberg cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat baked beans until hot. Season as needed.
- Lightly butter each slice of Boston brown bread on one side.
- Cover each slice generously with hot baked beans and a 2 slice layer of Jarlsberg on the buttered side of the bread.
- Top with ham slice and put under a broiler until cheese melts.