Recipe by JackandDawn
This is a quick and easy borsh (everyone spells it different) recipe that tastes pretty close to the homemade stuff I had in Russia. I use a food processor to shred all of the veggies, which saves a huge amount of time.
- 1 bunch red beet
- 2 -3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 potato
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 10 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 head green cabbage (optional)
- fresh parsley
- fresh dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred the beets and carrots.
- Dice the onion.
- Cube potato
- Heat oil in a large stir-fry pan.
- Add beets, carrots and onions.
- After 5-10 minutes add potato.
- Cook until veggies are done (sort of soft).
- In the meantime boil 10 cups of water in large pan.
- Add 10 chicken bouillon cubes and dissolve (can be beef bouillon also).
- Add the veggies (If using cabbage add shredded cabbage now as well).
- Add fresh dill, fresh parsley, salt, seasoned and pepper.
- Bring to a boil reduce heat and cover.
- The longer you cook the soup the stronger the flavor I normally put it on low-med and simmer for about 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Check throughout to add spices.
- Serve cold or warm with sour cream.