Recipe by Pesto lover
I serve these full size for breakfast, and in a smaller size as an appetizer or snack. You can find frozen 5x5 puff pastry sheets in an Armenian, middle eastern or Greek market.
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese (or you can use cottage cheese, drained for 5 minutes in a sieve)
- 2 -3 ounces feta cheese (I use French)
- 1⁄4 small onion (or 2 tbsp grated)
- 2 eggs
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 4 large frozen puff pastry sheets (or 1 pkg 5x5 frozen puff pastry sheets)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Defrost spinach and squeeze all liquid out.
- Put cheeses, onion, eggs, cumin, nutmeg, and pepper in the food processor. Pulse till well mixed.
- Add spinach and pulse a few times.
- Cut puff pastry into 5x5 squares for a large breakfast or meal-size serving. For appetizer or snack, cut puff pastry into.
- 2 1/2x5 inch strips.
- Fill each square with approximately 2 tbsp filling in the middle. Fold pastry over to create a triangle. Pinch sides very well with your fingers, so that filling won't escape. For the smaller strips, use 1-2 tsp filling on bottom half of strip and fold strip over to make a square. Seal well.
- Brush each one with milk and sprinkle sesame.
- seeds over.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes on ungreased cookie sheet, or until browned & puffed up.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.