Boreks (Turkish Appetizers)
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces feta cheese, grated
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 8 ounces phyllo pastry
- 3 -4 tablespoons melted butter
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, blend the feta and mozzarella cheese with the beaten eggs. Add the chopped herbs, season with pepper and nutmeg and stir well to mix.
- Cut the sheets of pastry into four rectangular strips approximately 3 inches wide. Cover all but one or two strips with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out.
- Brush on strip of pastry at a time with a little melted butter. Place 1 teaspoon filling at the bottom edge. Fold one corner over the filling to make a triangle shape. Continue folding the pastry over itself until you get to the end of the strip. Keep making triangles until all the mixture is used up.
- Place the boreks on a greased baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Join The Conversation
Lordy, Lordy, but I love this site. I have been looking for this recipe for DECADES, literally. These are the greatest little finger foods on the planet! Thank you so much for posting! Although, I don't use the mint. Can't stand the stuff. All I could remember is that I knew they had feta in them, but was too mild to actually be feta by itself.
WOW, I could not believe how easy and fantastic this recipe was! I LOVE borek and always envied my Turkish friends, who knew how to make it at home. Well, your recipe came to my rescue, cause now I can make borek myself. Im so happy that you posted this wonderful recipe! The boreks turned out very flaky on the outside with a nice thick-creamy cheese parsley center. The taste was just like at my Turkish friends' house. Sooooooo good! I sprinkled the tops with sesame seeds mainly for the look, but it tasted nice, too. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, that I will definitely make again! Made and reviewed for Photo Tag Game May 2010.