Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
This is a great tasting sauce that I came up with for the BBQ Sauce Cook-Off in the Grilling Forum (Aug, 2007). The Kahlua adds an inscrutable richness and subtle smoky flavor with a sweetness that dances well with the vinegar. I love my BBQ Sauces spicy, but there was no need to add heat to the sauce - the tang creates a wonderful zip and the heat is not missed. I formulated it for grilled bone-in chicken.... but it may work with other meats. The name of the sauce is a play on the Tennessee whiskey & Mexican Kahlua in the sauce.... and dedicated to the late Johnny Cash! Johnny Cash lived in Tenn, was arrested in Mexico and his sound is always described as Boom Chicka Boom .... we all know his famous song Walk the Line and I am sure the connection is pretty obvious. LOL! God Speed Johnny! (It made enough sauce for 3 bone-in breasts of chicken) BBQ Sauce Cook-Off thread: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=222017
Top Review by Andrea in NH
Great tasting BBQ sauce. It smelled wonderful while it was simmering. I used it on some boneless chicken breast on the grill and it was great. The Kahlua added a very nice touch.
- 14.79 ml butter
- 44.37 ml finely minced shallots
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 14.79 ml finely minced celery
- 118.29 ml Kahlua
- 118.29 ml ketchup
- 29.58 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 29.58 ml whiskey
- 22.18 ml balsamic vinegar
- 14.79 ml cider vinegar
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 1.23 ml liquid smoke
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan until foamy.
- Add minced shallots, garlic and celery and sauté until lightly golden, about 3 minutes or so.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thick and richly flavored, 8 to 10 minutes, whisking from time to time.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Coat chicken (or marinate) with sauce before grilling, baste as you grill and serve lathered in sauce.