Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I like fruitcake and I'm proud of it! But not just ANY fruitcake... This is a wonderful recipe from Stephanie Jaworski's joyofbaking.com that I've modified slightly. It doesn't have any of those bizarre chemically altered candied cherries or pineapples. Go ahead a give it a try!
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup water, hot
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange peel, pith removed, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup dried sour cherries
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whiskey (optional) or 1 cup rum (optional)
- Butter a 9x5x3 loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Farenheit.
- In a large saucepan, boil first 12 ingredients (brown sugar, water, butter, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, salt, orange peel and dried fruits) for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in two slightly beaten eggs.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, salt and baking soda.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry and then add vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 45 to 60 minutes until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Optional: While still hot, douse with alcohol.
- Wrap and store a couple of days before serving.