Recipe by MrsK
Although I have not a drop of Irish blood, I love boiled fruitcake! This delicious recipe is from "In an Irish Country Kitchen," by Clare Connery. I reduced the cooking time, because I think the cake gets a bit too dry. Give it a try: I know you will love it!
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins, seedless
- 1 cup raisins, golden
- 3 teaspoons allspice (I like to use 2 tsp allspice tsp cardamom)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 8" round deep cake pan with waxed paper (sides and bottom); brush lightly with melted butter or oil.
- Bring water, butter, sugar, fruit and asllspice gently to a simmering point; simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Sift flour and baking soda and stir into fruit mixture, along with egg. Mix thoroughly and put in pan. Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes. Reduce to 325 F and bake for 1 hour, until akewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out on cake rack. Wrap well in waxed paper or foil and store in airtight container.