Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a fiery Morrocan salad. Add the flavourings gradually to taste. The colour is beautiful. You can also add honey and cinnamon to this. Serve as a dip with bread or bits of raw vegetables. From my favourite book A New Book of Middle Eastern Food.
- 500 g carrots
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon harissa or 1 teaspoon paprika (and a good pinch cayenne)
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- olive (to garnish)
- Peel the carrots and boil in salted water until very soft.
- Drain and puree in the blender and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve cold with a few green or black olives.
What a refreshing change... and I found this recipe looking for something to do with my left over cooked carrots...I highly recommend this dish for anyone who enjoys a hint of the Mediterranean. We paired this with left over sliced ham, dalmadas, green bean and feta salad and some pickled beets on the side! It was great! I suggest you serve along with some fresh pita for a great dipping idea!
I enjoyed this and will be making this again if I have the need for a different dip. I used harissa and I think that it pays to use this ingredient.