Recipe by graftonr
This is based on a Hawaiian breakfast favorite called Loco Moco. I've modified it to appeal to those that like their breakfast with an old fashioned white gravy. Not for the weak of heart, but mighty tasty just the same.
Top Review by littleturtle
My family had their doubts about this just because it was so unusual. The only specific complaint was that DH thought the green pepper flavor didn't go well with something else in the gravy, so I might leave that out next time. But I thought this was delicious and I'll definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 cup ground sausage
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil (optional)
- 2 -4 tablespoons flour, mixed with
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups steamed rice
- 3 cooked hamburger patties
- 3 eggs, over easy
Directions See How It's Made
- To Prepare:.
- Render ground sausage over low-medium heat until well cooked. Remove sausage from pan and set aside, leaving grease in the pan.
- Add green peppers and onion to the pan, cooking until tender. Remove peppers and onions from pan, leaving the grease.
- Add butter and optional truffle oil to pan. Add flour mixture to pan over low-medium heat and stir to make a roux. Cook for 1-2 minutes being careful not to burn the roux.
- Stir milk into the pan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Continue to stir until sauce is of a thick consistancy. Add sausage, peppers and onions to sauce and stir well. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- To Serve:.
- Plate 3/4 cups of steamed rice, 1 hamburger patty, and 1 egg. Cover with 1/3 cup of gravy. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with toast.