Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This salad was created by Bobby Flay who sees it as a fall salad. I think it would be terrific as a summer salad, too though you may have to substitute for the fresh figs. The combination of ingredients look outstanding and somewhat Mediterranean. Recipe appeared in People magazine.
- 1⁄4 lb baby arugula
- 5 fresh figs, preferably Black Mission, quartered
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1⁄4 lb country ham, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 slces country bread, grilled (1/2-inch thick)
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the Molasses-Mustard Dressing. Combine all ingredients except the canola oil in a medium bowl and whisk together. Slowly whisk in the canola oil until completely blended.
- Put the arugula and figs in a large bowl. Add half of the dressing with the salt and pepper and toss gently.
- Divide the greens and figs among four large plates. Place a slice or two of ham on each plate. Drizzle with dressing and garnish with pecans and green onions.
- Top bread with ricotta and serve with salad.