Recipe by mom2alex&jake
These meatballs quickly will become a requested item at all of your parties! The unusual addition of gingersnaps gives a great zippy flavor. My mom has used this recipe for nearly 20 years, and it's always a hit! Served with rice and a veggie you have a complete meal!
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 slices stale bread
SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 10 gingersnap cookies (I know, this sounds like an odd ingredient, but it not only adds a great flavor, but it acts as the)
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR MEATBALLS: Mix first 6 ingredients together by squishing through you r hands. When thoughourghly mixed,dampen bread slightly and wring out, add bread to the mixture. Make small meatballs and place on jelly roll pan. Bake 350 for 20 minutes or until done.
- While meatballs are cooking, start sauce. FOR SAUCE: Puree all sauce ingredients in blender (yes, including cookies), and pour into sacuepan. Cook just until sauce boils, being careful not to scorch.
- When mixture thickens, pour over meatballs.
- Great served over rice, and you can even add a can of pineapple chunks to the sauce, too!
- SHORTCUT: I buy the frozen meatballs @ Costco, and puree sauce and pour directly over meatballs into crock pot to cook. If given a couple of hours, frozen meatball will thaw and cook, and sauce will thicken nicely.
- A triple or quaduple batch will make a 6 qt crockpot full. I take these to many get togethers.