This cake is from the Luscious Berry Desserts cookbook by Lori Longbotham.
Make and share this Blueberry Upside-Down Ginger Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- In 9" by 2" round cake pan, melt 4 T butter in oven while it preheats. Remove pan from oven. Stir brown sugar and lemon juice into melted butter until blended (sugar will not dissolve). Sprinkle blueberries evenly over bottom of pan.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium-high speed, beat remaining butter until light and creamy. Add granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time. Whisk in half of flour mixture. Whisk in milk and then the remaining flour mixture. Pour batter over blueberries in pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.
- To serve, run knife around inside of pan to loosen cake from side of pan. Invert cake onto platter.
- Serve warm, with ice cream if you like.