- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 pint ripe raspberries
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375°; butter an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Make the cake: whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer on med-high speed in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg, zest, and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Stir in the milk with a rubber spatula.
- Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture with the rubber spatula; the batter will be very thick.
- Toss together the raspberries and lemon juice in a small bowl and gently stir into the batter.
- Transfer to the pan and smooth the top with the rubber spatula.
- Make the topping: whisk together the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the largest pieces of butter are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Cut the buckle into 9 squares and serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!