Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- In large bowl, combine bran, flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, mix together eggs, buttermilk, oil and molasses.
- Pour egg mixture into bran mixture and stir to moisten.
- Do not overmix.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into nonstick or paper-lined large muffin tins, filling almost to top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until firm to the touch.
Good tasting and healthy muffins. Not very sweet, though, so be prepared. I used 4 egg whites instead of the 2 eggs, added 1 tsp vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and used 1 1/2 cup (frozen, unthawed) blueberries. I made 12 very big muffins (baking them for 25 minutes was fine). This is a good basic recipe for bran muffins ; I think you should be able to substitute other fruits for the blueberries, especially dried fruits : dates, prunes, raisins... (or choc chips for a little treat!). And since dried fruits are sweeter than fresh, this could be a great healthy way to make the muffins sweeter. Thanks for posting, Dancer^!
These muffins are super filling! (nd very healthy!)I only made half the recipe but i got 8 big muffins, ate one and was full for the whole morning! The molasses really gave the muffin a different flavor. but personally i like molasses better in gingerbread cookies. thanks for ther recipe!