Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe from ""Enjoy! More Recipes from the Best of Bridge". They are delicious and moist.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lemon, rind of
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries or 1 cup canned blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and lemon rind in a large bowl.
- Beat egg in a medium sized bowl, add milk and butter.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients (the batter will be lumpy).
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Fill muffin pans 2/3 full and bake at 425 for 20 minutes.
- For the topping, combine melted butter and lemon juice.
- In a separate dish, measure out the sugar.
- Take the slightly cooled muffins and dunk top into butter mixture and then into the sugar.
It also worked great as bread! Delicious! Just enough zest for a kick!
Wonderful recipe....but, use the updated version with 1/4 cup butter, 2T lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar.
I love the Blueberry Lemon Muffins from the Best of Bridge cookbook. However, a newer version of the cookbook (Best of the Best) updated the ingredient measurements for the topping, which is better than the original. The new version has 1/4 cup melted butter, 2 Tbs. lemon juice, and 1/2 cup sugar.