Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a creamy ice cream with a beautiful fresh blueberry and vanilla flavour. I adapted this from a strawberry ice cream recipe that came with my machine. The original calls for 2 Tbsp of vanilla but I reduced the amount so as not to overpower the blueberry flavour. Perfect with fresh blueberries but good with frozen as well.
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar and vanilla by hand or with a mixer for 1-2 minutes, until smooth and the colour lightens.
- Heat cream and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until very hot but not boiling, about 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add 4 Tablespoons hot milk and cream, one at a time, to the egg yolk mixture, whisking each time.
- Slowly pour egg mixture back into the saucepan of hot milk and cream, whisking constantly.
- Cook on low, stirring, until the mixture coats the back of a teaspoon, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let cool and refrigerate until cold.
- Thaw blueberries if using frozen.
- When ice cream mixture is cold chop blueberries in a food processor or blender and stir into the cream mixture.
- Start your machine, pour in the mix and run for 20-25 minutes or according to the directions for your machine.
- Scrape ice cream into a freezable container and freeze for 2-24 hours.
- The ice cream will be very soft at first but very hard after freezing; let thaw at room temperature 10 minutes before scooping and serve with fresh blueberries on top.
- Cooking time is time in the ice cream maker but not freezing time.
This is great. Tastes like blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream