Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
This is a pudding with dumplings in it. Pretty tasty! This is a crockpot dish so turn it on and leave it be for 5 1/2- 6 hours, before you start the dumpling part.
- 4 cups frozen blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water, warm if using frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons dry tapioca
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- In a 31/2 quart slow cooker, combine blueberries, the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the water and tapioca. Cover and slow-cook until the berries have formed a thick sauce, 5 to 6 hours on low.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, the remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, baking powder and salt to combine. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembled coarse meal.
- In small bowl, beat milk and egg together.
- Stir into flour mixture to form a soft dough.
- Turn the slow-cooker to high.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls on top of the blueberries.
- Cover and slow-cook until the topping is firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the dumplings with the brown sugar.
- Let the grunt stand for 5 minutes before serving, then spoon into individual bowls.
Made this for my husband and he enjoyed it through the week. It was easy enough to make, I used half fresh and half frozen berries. I found that I really had to squeeze in the dumplings on top but it worked. We wondered why it is called "grunt" but figured it was because he kept grunting with satisfaction when he ate it!