Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe I tried from Rachael Ray's magazine. It is ready to enjoy in less than an hour.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup blanched sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 lb cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cold egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup blueberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; line a 9-inch square baking pan with a 12-inch long sheet of foil.
- Using a food processor, mix the flour, almonds, sugar, baking soda and salt until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add the butter and pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- Beat together the egg and vanilla; drizzle over the dough mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and knead with your fingertips until clumpy.
- Transfer two-thirds of the dough to the pan and press into the bottom to form an even layer.
- Spread the preserves on top.
- Dot the top with the remaining dough in clumps.
- Bake until the edges are lightly golden, 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Turn out the pan, remove the foil and cut into squares.
Made as directed except for the almonds, DH won't eat nuts and these little wonders were for him and DS. They came out really pretty and the guys have almost wiped them out while I was gone today. DH says that he wants the last one with ice cream after dinner. Easy to put together and a great hit with my men. Thanks Lainey :D
Made this recipe as given . . . well, almost! I DID add a quarter cup of frozen blueberries, thawed, patted dry & slightly chopped before adding them to the blueberry preserves! I just wanted a blast of blueberry, & that's what I got in these very delicious bars! Definitely want to make them again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Everyday Is a Holiday tag]