Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from a friend and since I had the blueberries on hand, I decided to make it right away. The cake came out wonderful, and the topping was so nicely baked on top. You have to try this one. I think you could probably use a different berry if you prefer.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.
- Cream the sugar and shortening.
- Add the egg and beat well.
- Add the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- Add 2 tbsp sugar to the blueberries and add to the mix.
- Pour into a 9" square pan.
- Combine the topping and sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 350 for about 35 to 40 minutes.
Steps 1 and 2 contradict each other. (Combine sugar with all dry ingredients and set aside; then cream sugar and shortening.) I used margarine instead of shortening, and the procedure was different since I couldn't do step 2. However, that said, this is a great tasting little cake! I even skipped the topping, so it looks a bit bare...but no matter. It's delicious and perfect with a fresh cup of coffee.
I tried this and it works great! I'm not much of a baker but the recipe is really straight forward and the cake was fluffy and great. If I make it again I'm going to add 1/2 cup more blueberries though.