Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This is an old recipe from my mom. One of the first things I make when the blueberries are in season. My dad always liked to pour blueberry syrup over his.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla; beat until well mixed.
- In another bowl, add the flour and baking powder, stir to mix.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, mixing after each addition.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Divide batter between 2 greased 9-inch round baking dishes.
- In a small bowl, add the topping ingredients.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the margarine until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the two cakes.
- Bake at 350°F for about 35 minutes.
- Cool slightly and cut into wedges.
- This is best when served warm.