Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Heavenly served fresh from the oven as is or with a stewed blueberry sauce. Nowadays, blueberries are available either fresh or frozen year-round. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Wash berries and pick over for stems.
- Grease a 4 x 9" pan and line with parchment or waxed paper; preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy; add egg yolks and vanilla and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk to the batter; fold in egg whites.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan, cover with blueberries and pour remaining batter over the top.
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and cut into 2" squares.