Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Canadian Living June 2005 issue. A very moist and tasty cake, best if eaten the same day it's baked.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Greace 10-cup (2.5 L) deocorative Bundt or tube pan.
- In bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time; beat in lemond rind and juice. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, almonds, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir half into butter mixture.
- Stir in sour cream, stir in remaining flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Scrape into prepared pan.
- Bake in center of 325 degree oven until cake tester inserted into centre comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool on rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto rack and let cool.
- Icing: In small bowl, combine icing sugar, milk and almond extract; drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Enjoy !
Wonderful cake. Canadian Living recipes are usually quite good & this was no exception. I followed the instructions, but had to use frozen blueberries. It is actually quite a delicate cake with great flavour. I just dusted it with icing sugar rather than making the icing for it, and found that was enough. I will be making this again. Thanks for posting this recipe HelMo.
I really enjoyed this cake. The technique in making it and incorporating wet and dry ingredients resulted in a light and very moist cake. I followed recipe as written, adding 1/4 teaspoon almond extract to the wet ingredients. I think next time I will increase the ground almonds by 2 tbsp -- the cake is super moist so could hold up to a little more bulk and almonds are so healthy for us. I also am considering toasting the almonds before grinding them up as this go round, I just used raw almonds. Overall, good eats and I can't wait to try it for breakfast tomorrow. Thanks for posting this recipe, it's going into my file.