Recipe by Ridgely
We love this Apple Pie at our House. In fact it's the only one I make. I love the cinnamon and nutmeg in the pie crust for a nice added touch. This recipe is from a Land O' Lakes Cookbook that I have.
Top Review by Leta
I made the filling portion only of this recipe to use in two other recipes I was making that called for a can of apple pie filling. I just added a little water to prevent burning and let them simmer on the stove until tender. I have always had trouble getting the portions for apple pie filling correct...but this is it! Thank you so much...after 47 years I can finally make an apple pie!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 4 -5 tablespoons of cold water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup firm packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 cups tart cooking apples, peeled and cored slice 1/4 inch
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In large bowl stir together flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg from crust ingredients.
- Cut in butter and shortening until crumbly.
- With fork mix in water until flour is moist.
- Divide dough in half; shape into 2 balls and flatten.
- Wrap 1 ball in plastic wrap and put in fridge.
- On a floured surface roll other ball into a 12" circle.
- Place in a 9" pie pan.
- Trim pastry to 1/2" from rim of pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients EXCEPT apples, 1 tbsp butter, 1 tsp sugar,& whipping cream.
- Add apples; toss to coat.
- Spoon into crust.
- Roll other ball into 12" circle; cut 8 large slits in crust.
- Place over pie, crimp or flute crust.
- Brush with melted 1 tbsp butter; sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover edge of crust with foil.
- Bake 35 minutes; remove foil.
- Continue baking 10 to 20 min.
- or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits.
- Remove from oven; run knife through slits.
- Pour whipping cream evenly through all slits.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes to warm whipping cream.
- Cool pie 30 min.