1/1 Photo of Blue Cheese Mushroom and Onion Potato Gratin
1 hr 25 mins
To save time saute the onions and mushrooms up to a day in advance, you can also make this omitting the mushrooms if desired. The cooking time is only estimated depending on the thickness of the sliced potatoes, if you own a mandoline use it for this recipe as the potato slices must be sliced very thinly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml oil
- 29.58 ml butter
- 3 onions, halved then sliced
- 453.59 g white button mushrooms, sliced (can use more mushrooms)
- 1360.77 g russet potatoes (peeled and sliced very thin, about 1/8-inch thick)
- 709.77 ml whipping cream
- 177.44 ml blue cheese, crumbled (can use less blue cheese)
- 354.88 ml mozzarella cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat oil and butter in a skillet; saute the onions until caramalized (about 10-12 minutes) remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- 2Add in the sliced mushrooms and saute until they loose there moisture (about 10 minutes) transfer to a bowl.
- 3Set oven to 375 degrees (oven rack to second-lowest position).
- 4Butter a 3-4 quart casserole dish.
- 5In a 2-quart saucepan combine the potatoes with the whipping cream (the potatoes on top do not have to be covered completely) bring to a boil; remove from heat and cool to warm (about 30 minutes) leaving the potatoes in the cream.
- 6Transfer one-third of the potatoes using a slotted spoon to the baking dish, spreading them out in an even layer.
- 7Sprinkle with HALF of the onions, then HALF of the mushrooms; season with salt and pepper.
- 8The sprinkle ONE-THIRD of both cheeses over the mushrooms.
- 9Make another layer of potatoes then the sprinkle the REMAINING onions and mushrooms over the potatoes then another third of both cheeses.
- 10Make one more layer with the remaining potatoes.
- 11Top with remaining cheeses.
- 12Pour any leftover whipping cream evenly over the top and cover tightly with foil.
- 13Make for 45 minutes.
- 14Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- 15Remove the foil and bake until the top is golden brown, and the potatoes are fork-tender (about 12-15 minutes).
- 16Let stand for 15 minutes before serving (the mixture will thicken upon standing).
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blue Cheese Mushroom and Onion Potato Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 842.6
- Calories from Fat 576
- Total Fat 64.0 g
- Saturated Fat 37.3 g
- Cholesterol 207.9 mg
- Sodium 502.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 19.7 g