Recipe by JanuaryBride
Per Whole Foods' website, "To ease the party rush, make the filling for these dates a few days in advance, keeping in mind that the flavor will get stronger over time. For a vegetarian version omit the bacon and sauté the onions in olive oil instead of the bacon grease."
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 small red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbles
- 2 1⁄2 ounces cream cheese (light or fat free are fine)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 24 pitted dates
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to drain on paper towels, reserving 1/2 teaspoon bacon grease in skillet.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add orange juice and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer onion to a medium bowl and let cool.
- Crumble bacon into the onions. Add cheeses and half of the pecans. Stir well to combine.
- Stuff each date with a heaping teaspoon of the mixture and top with remaining pecans.