Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Per Whole Foods' website, "To ease the party rush, make the filling for these dates a few days in advance, keeping in mind that the flavor will get stronger over time. For a vegetarian version omit the bacon and sauté the onions in olive oil instead of the bacon grease."
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to drain on paper towels, reserving 1/2 teaspoon bacon grease in skillet.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add orange juice and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer onion to a medium bowl and let cool.
- Crumble bacon into the onions. Add cheeses and half of the pecans. Stir well to combine.
- Stuff each date with a heaping teaspoon of the mixture and top with remaining pecans.
Sweet and savory! you cannot go wrong. Who ever developed this recipe is brilliant. Taking 2 ingredients ie ( blue cheese and dates) that most people are not to crazy about and putting them together to make these delectable babies! I loved them and so did my guest. They are splendid with red wine. stop thinking about it and just make em already.
Wow!! I made these this evening as part of a finger food, nibbles party. I hade my sister, hubby and niece all say what a combination of flavours, that is going to be gross. No way!! once they all tried it they said I never thought that would work but that is truly delicious. All my guests, that loved dates, have praised this combo all the way. This to me is a truly unique way to serve dates but totally delicious. What can I say these flavours just work and work well..I even wondered how this would turn out myself, but it is truly inspried, thanks for sharing such a fab recipe.. :)
I followed the recipe to the letter and they turned out great. I cut the dates in half as I thought that they were too big to eat and hold a glass of wine. The best presentation I could come up with was an egg plate. Very easy to make with clear directions. Thanks for sharing JB!!