Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are fantastic. My fav!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup English toffee bits or 1 cup almond brickle chips
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Srit in toffee bits.
- Spread evenly into a greased 13 X 9 X 2-in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool on wore rack.
- Cut into bars.
These are great--just what I was looking for--nice and CHEWY! And it is a good thing we like them. I printed a copy of the recipe, and somehow, it left off the first part of l/2 cup butter, and showed 2 cup butter. I was creaming the 2 cups butter with the sugars when I realized something wasn't right! :) Being the frugal woman I am, I times the recipe by four, to match the butter, and now have lots of Blond Toffee Brownies. By the way they freeze well. :)
The batter was very thick and the brownies were difficult to cut once cooled. At first we were concerned they would be dry. They were chewy and delicious! Only one complaint -- hubby thought toffee flavor wasn't noticeable but loved them anyway. Next time they will be served warm and topped with vanilla ice cream and caramel/butterscotch topping. Can't wait!
The first time I made this recipe was on 2/2/12,but due to bad baking powder the brownies didn't rise as high as they should have. But today, 2/7/12 I made them again (using fresh baking powder )and baked them in an 11x 7 inch pan and they turned out pretty much as I wanted them to. The addition of English toffee bits gave the brownies just a hint of chocolate,which was really nice. These were made for the " Flours and Romance Event " in Food Photo Forum.Thank you so much for posting a recipe that will be made again. " Keep Smiling :) "