Prep 24 hrs
Cook 35 mins
This is an Irish treat that is wonderful for Saint Patrick's Day, or anytime!
- 4 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 lbs confectioners' sugar (7 1/2 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups finely chopped peanuts
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick and lemon colored, about 4 minutes.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; add to egg mixture.
- Beat on low speed just until combined.
- Add the milk and butter; mix well.
- Pour into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
- Cover and freeze overnight.
- For a frosting, in a mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt; beat until smooth.
- Frost the top and sides of frozen cake squares.
- Roll in peanuts.
- Place on wire racks to dry.
Not only a delicious cake. This is FUN to make. You can divide the frosting and make different colors. for some I put nuts on top, some I rolled on the sides. They taste great! And look SO pretty! Thanks Lauren for posting this!!
my family rated this a 9-Would eat every day! your the only 9 in my zaar cookbook!
This recipe is from www.TasteofHome.com and is listed as a recipe by Bridget Jones of Veyo Utah. Bridget states that in high school she worked for an Irish family who made these every year for St. Patrick's Day. Thanks for posting. :)