Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Hearty casserole for St.Patrick's Day or anytime.
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1⁄2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper.
- In a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish, layer half of the bread cubes, tomatoes, cheeses, and sausage mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325* for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.