Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Ahh an interesting take on the classic.
Make and share this Blackberry Upside-Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly-packed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄4 walnuts, chopped
- 3 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron frying pan or a 9x2-inch cake pan over low heat, melt butter or margarine.
- Stir in brown sugar until blended. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle lemon zest over the brown sugar. Sprinkle chopped nuts over the top.
- Arrange the blackberries in an even layer over the nuts; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add egg, milk, and butter; beat 2 minutes.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract; beat 2 minutes.
- Pour over blackberries in frying pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes on a wire rack. Run knife around edge of pan to loosen; cover with a cake plate and invert.
- Serve warm.