Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, Unsifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄3 cup water, cold
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 dash salt
- 4 cups fresh blackberries, Washed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sift together flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles large coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle water over flour mixture,using a fork to stir it in gently to make it gather into a ball (the less water the better - just enough to hold it together).
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and shape with your hands into two balls, one slightly larger than the other.
- Chill dough for 1 hour, then roll out large ball to fit the bottom of a 9 or 10" pie dish.
- Now, mix sugar and all-purpose flour in a separate bowl, then add a dash of salt and stir in berries.
- Pour mixture into the empty pie shell,then roll out remaining ball of dough to make top crust.
- Crimp and trim edges,then slash the top crust in several places.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.