Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 min
Juicy Blackberries are the hidden gems in this moist cake with a crumbly coconut top. From Good Taste magazine Australia
- butter, to grease
- 200 g butter, at room temperature
- 170 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 150 g plain flour
- 185 ml milk
- 230 g blackberries
- vanilla custard, to serve
- crumb topping
- 75 g plain flour
- 50 g firm butter, chopped
- 60 g shredded coconut
- 55 g firmly packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C Brush a round 22cm(base measurement) springform pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the combined flours and milk and use a large metal spoon to fold until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared pan and use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface.
- Arrange the blackberries in a signle layer over the top.
- To make the crumble topping, place flour in a bowl.Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the coconut and sugar.
- Sprinkle the cruble topping over the blackberries.
- Bake for 1 hour.Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake for a further 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Set aside in the pan for 10 minute to cool before transferring to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Cut into wedges and serve with custard.