With this recipes you can prepare 8-12 Blackberry cobblers cups (depending on the size) or a big blackberry upside-down cake.
For the Filling
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar (or better less if you use really sweet blackberries or other fruits)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (for cups 2 tablespoons are enough)
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the topping
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar (corresponds to 40 g, if you prefere use more)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto (optional)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- For the topping: In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter using 2 knives or a pastry cutter until many small pebble-sized pieces are formed. In a small bowl whisk together milk, egg and Amaretto . Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Do not over mix.
- For the filling: In pot heat 1/4 cup water with sugar (medium heat). When it begins to boil add 2 cups of blackberries and stir shortly. Mix together 1/2 cup of water and the cornstarch. Add this to the hot berries, stir again until it thickens. Take away from heat source, add remaining berries and butter. Stirr shortly.
- For the cups: Fill 1/2 of your cups with the berry mixture and top with 1 tablespoon topping. The exactly amount of cups you need depends on the cup size. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or cold.
- For the upside-down cake: Cover the bottom of your baking mold with baking paper. Grease bottom and sides of the mold. Poor filling and spoon topping on it. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden. Cool completely and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Remove sides, invert carefully on cake dish and remove bottom and baking paper.