Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
MarthaStewart.com Delicious, healthy white bean, kale soup. Best served with a fresh baguette.
- 10 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 28 ounces cannellini beans, liquid reserved
- 6 ounces kale (Tuscan black is best)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Reduce heat, add barley and simmer until just tender, about 1 hour.
- Add 2 cups stock to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and add onion, garlic, red-pepper flakes and salt. Season with pepper. Simmer until barley is soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add beans with liquid, kale and remaining 2 cups water and 1 cup stock. Simmer until kale is tender and cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Divide into bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesean and lemon zest and season with pepper.