Prep 1 min
Cook 3 mins
Hmmm...Those sour cherries in the fridge might be good in oatmeal. Yes, but what's even better than oatmeal? CHOCOLATE oatmeal. Thus black forest oatmeal was born. Try it topped with vanilla yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 6 -8 sour cherries, chopped
- Mix oats, milk, cocoa powder, and sugar in large microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave on high 2-3 minutes. If you like your oatmeal very thick, microwave for an extra 2 minutes on half power.
- Stir in chocolate bits and sour cherries.
I love trying different kinds of oatmeal so couldn't wait to try this recipe, but it did take me a while to find the tart cherries. I finally ordered them online and am so glad I got a large jar because this makes a delicious breakfast! Instead of cocoa powder I used chocolate protein powder.
Fabulous! I made this for my daughter's sixteenth birthday breakfast - she came up with the cute embellishments. Isn't it cute! It really is like dessert for breakfast without all the guilt. We loved the rich flavor and the creamy texture. It will be a regular on our breakfast menu! Made for Top Favorites of 2009 Tag game.
Wow, is this ever delicious and decadent! I felt like I was eating a brownie for breakfast, even with half the cocoa and 1/4 the chocolate chips! I omitted the cherries (personal preference). The chocolate chips almost immediately start melting when you put them in the finished bowl, which makes it super yummy.