Recipe by Deb's Recipes
Delicious chocolate crepes with cherry filling make a lovely, romantic dessert that would be perfect for Valentine's Day. They could also be served as part of an elegant breakfast-in-bed or brunch. Enjoy!
Top Review by evelyn/athens
I am rating this recipe on the filling and assembly as I already had pre-made crepes on hand. This was very, very easy to make and a big hit with friends and family on World Cup Finals. I used my homemade chocolate syrup to drizzle over top the whipped cream and fresh mint cut from my container plant. We were all happy with the crepes and Italy's winning!
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk or 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon butter (for the crepe pan)
- cherry pie filling
- sweetened whipped cream (garnish)
- chocolate syrup (garnish)
- chocolate curls (garnish)
- mint sprig (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine eggs, milk, vanilla, and melted butter and whisk well; combine flour, cocoa, sugar, and salt and add to wet mixture; whisk thoroughly or beat with an immersion blender until smooth; cover batter and refrigerate for one to two hours.
- Remove batter from refrigerator and stir; you may, if necessary, thin batter by adding a little additional milk or you may thicken it by adding a bit of flour; heat a non-stick skillet (I recommend a 10" omelette pan) to medium-high heat and add 1/2 teaspoon butter to it.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into skillet and tilt so that a thin layer of batter coats the pan bottom in an 8-inch circle; cook crepe for 30-60 seconds until it appears dry and is just beginning to brown at edges; carefully loosen edges and turn crepe over; cook second side for another 30-60 seconds.
- Continue cooking crepes, adding 1/2 teaspoon butter to the skillet before each one; stack finished crepes with waxed paper between them ~ You may refrigerate or freeze them for later use or serve immediately.
- To serve, place 2-3 tablespoons cherry pie filling across center of each crepe and roll tightly or fold crepe into quarters; place 2 filled crepes on each serving plate; garnish crepes with your choice of sweetened whipped cream, additional cherry pie filling, chocolate or cherry syrup, chocolate curls, and mint sprigs.
- NOTE: When garnishing my crepes I did not use chocolate syrup, but instead spooned a little cherry pie filling (no whole cherries) into a small plastic ziploc bag, snipped off its corner, and gently squeezed the filling through and onto my crepes.